I wanted to share a bit of Native American wisdom with you today.
Like many of the teachings that come from indigenous culture, the 10 virtues below are intended as a roadmap for living a more balanced and connected life.
The beauty of these ancient pillars of existence is that they always remain relevant, regardless of how evolved or learned we think we’ve become.
10 Tribal Teachings To Live By
1) The Earth is our Mother, care for her.
2) Honor your ancestors through your actions.
3) Open your heart and soul to the Great Spirit.
4) All life is sacred; treat all beings with respect.
5) Take from the Earth what is needed and nothing more.
6) Put the good of all before your own interests.
7) Give constant thanks for each new day.
8) Speak the truth; but only of good in others.
9) Follow the rhythms of nature; rise and retire with the sun.
10) Enjoy life’s journey, but leave no tracks.
They seem so simple right? But somehow these core concepts are easy to forget or take for granted when life gets challenging.
I’ve come across this list of ten before, but as I read through it again I was struck by one item in particular that really hit home. Today it was number 9, but who knows what it’ll be next time!
I hope you too find benefit in these native commandments.
Director, The Sacred Science