No matter the weather, my family and I are pretty committed to going outside and having a blast year round.
I’m a firm believer in not getting stuffed up in our house for two reasons:
- Fresh air, no matter how cold it is, is vital to our health and our children’s development.
- Getting outside fights off the emotional/spiritual blues that are common during certain times of year or when you’re pent up indoors too long.
Now, if you like to play hard in winter, you’ve gotta make sure you’re always nourishing your system with the best herbs, foods and fluids that your budget allows. With that in mind, one thing we LOVE to make in our house is a nutrient-rich, herb-infused soup from the old country.
Though you can’t really go wrong with broth-based soups when you’re sick, there are some that work faster and more effectively than others because of the healing nature of their ingredients.
The healing soup recipe below is a real crowd-pleaser that is super tasty and extremely good for you…
The Italian herbs in this recipe are famous for their ability to open up your respiratory system while soothing the lining of your throat and any chest congestion. The turmeric and black pepper duo work together to bring down inflammation all over your body and both the garlic and ginger help to fight off the presence of any bacterial or viral infections!
Meanwhile, the whole veggies provide a wide range of vitamins and minerals to nourish your body back to health quickly. (While that’s not a guarantee, it has been our experience. We make a vat of it and eat it during any mealtime.)
This delicious soup packs a serious healing punch!
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp sage
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cloves of garlic
- Ginger (measured to your liking)
- 1/2 onion diced
- 2 carrots chopped
- 2 zucchini chopped
- 7 Cremini mushrooms quartered
- 3 medium potatoes chopped
- 1 bunch of kale
- Sea Salt (to taste)
- Sauté onions, garlic and ginger until fragrant
- Add mushrooms, carrots, zucchini until soft enough to pierce with a fork
- Cover all vegetables with water and bring to a boil
- Add all herbs
- Add potatoes, cover and allow to boil for 30 minutes
- Add kale, cover and boil for 10 minutes
- Salt to taste
Grab a bowl and spoon and eat up all the healing benefits this wonderful soup has to offer!
Host of Remedy: Ancient Medicine for Modern Illness
& Founder of The Sacred Science